Dive into 60 of the world's most joyous wild swimming spots and discover a further 120 ideas for uplifting bathing experiences. Packed with inspirational expert insights, immersive photography, and essential trip planning tips, this remarkable book explores the open-water swims guaranteed to exhilarate, rejuvenate, restore and above all, spark joy.
Wade into Hawaii's crystal clear sea where tropical fish weave through the coral reefs of the Kona coast; or experience the magnificence of Slovenia's Lake Bled, where swimmers tread through the other-worldly Alpine blue waters to reach the iconic island at its heart. With 60 mesmerising wild-swimming wonders to tour, readers will soon be immersed in the culture, landscape and characteristics of each life-affirming swim.
Inside The Joy of Wild Swimming:
- 60 in-depth profiles of wild swimming spots, organised by region and accompanied by beautiful photography, plus first-hand accounts from writers who have experienced the joy of each swim
- 120 extra must-visit natural water destinations
- At-a-glance reasons to go that shed light on the type of experience you can expect to have from serenity to adventure; natural beauty to extreme wilderness
- Challenge levels for each destination detail the the types of swimming conditions throughout the seasons as well as the accessibility of each open-water sanctuary
- In the know tips and insights that show why each swimming spot is so joyful, plus what to expect from your visit, how to get there, the best months to go, what to take with you, must-do activities and experiences not to be missed
- Covers global wild swimming destinations including Africa & the Middle East, Americas, Asia, Europe, Oceania
- Foreword by Freya Bromley, author of The Tidal Year, which tells the story of her adventure swimming every tidal pool in Britain. Freya has written for publications including Lonely Planet, Financial Times, and National Geographic Traveller
Do more of what you love with our uplifting Joy of series and nurture your biggest passions. The Joy of Wild Swimming is the ultimate gift book for the water lover in your life, or a wonderful treat to inspire your next reviving wild swim in a turquoise blue bay, dazzling fjord or relaxing hot spring.
About Lonely Planet: Lonely Planet, a Red Ventures Company, is the world's number one travel guidebook brand. Providing both inspiring and trustworthy information for every kind of traveller since 1973, Lonely Planet reaches hundreds of millions of travellers each year online and in print and helps them unlock amazing experiences. Visit us at lonelyplanet.com and join our community of followers on Facebook (facebook.com/lonelyplanet), Twitter (@lonelyplanet), Instagram (instagram.com/lonelyplanet), and TikTok (@lonelyplanet).
'Lonely Planet. It's on everyone's bookshelves; it's in every traveller's hands. It's on mobile phones. It's on the Internet. It's everywhere, and it's telling entire generations of people how to travel the world.' – Fairfax Media (Australia)
- Publisher : Lonely Planet (1 September 2023)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 272 pages
- ISBN-10 : 183758060X
- ISBN-13 : 978-1837580606
- Dimensions : 20.32 x 2.22 x 24.64 cm